PCCI is made up of Physicians, Mathematicians, Scientists, and Thought Leaders.
Steve Miff phd
President & CEO
Dr. Miff oversees the overall strategic and operational responsibilities for all of PCCI. He has over 20+ years experience driving growth through the launch of innovative products and channel partnerships across the healthcare continuum, particularly in healthcare analytics and consulting. He brings broad industry expertise across the entire range of healthcare stakeholders, including health systems, consumers, manufacturers, payers, academia and government. He is a national thought leader with over 100 peered-reviewed and independent thought leadership publications. Dr. Miff earned his PhD and MS degrees in biomedical engineering and a BA in economics from Northwestern University.
George “Holt” Oliver md, phd
Vice President of Clinical Informatics
Dr. Oliver leads the clinical informatics division of PCCI. His team plays a key role in architecting clinical decision support modules within Pieces™ and coordinating expert specialty physician involvement in the development of new algorithms. Dr. Oliver has specific expertise in statistical programming, clinical studies support, and novel gene identification in large genomic datasets. Dr. Oliver received his AB from Princeton University and his MD, PhD from the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center. He subsequently completed a clinical and research fellowship in medical oncology at the Johns Hopkins Medical Institution.
Donna Persaud md
Senior Medical Director
Dr. Persaud oversees governance, regulatory compliance, project management, partnership engagement, research and grant management for the Dallas IEP, PCCI’s community information exchange that connects healthcare and social service providers. Dr. Persaud is a physician with 30 years of experience serving the medically undersserved, focusing on Dallas County since 1993. She is a board certified pediatrician on the Parkland Health and Hospital System Medical Staff, Children’s Health System Staff, and Volunteer Faculty for the Department of Pediatrics UT Southwestern. Her undergraduate studies and medical degrees were completed at the University of the West Indies, Kingston Jamaica, after which she completed her pediatric residency and ambulatory fellowship in general pediatrics at Jackson Memorial Hospital, University of Miami and UTMB Galveston, respectively.
Steve Roth jd, mph
Chief Legal Counsel
Mr. Roth directs the legal strategy of PCCI. He has twenty years of experience in health law. Mr. Roth brings to PCCI specific expertise in advising hospitals, health systems, academic medical centers, managed care entities, and other healthcare providers on a variety of matters, including business and technology transactions, HIPAA, electronic medical records, managed care, day-to-day operations, and regulatory and compliance matters. Mr. Roth received his JD at the University of Pittsburgh School of Law and his MPH at Harvard University School of Public Health.
PCCI’s Board of Directors
- Dr. Steve Miff joined PCCI as the president and CEO in January 2017. In his current role he oversees the complete strategic and operational responsibilities for all of PCCI. Before joining PCCI, Dr. Miff served as the senior vice president and general manager at Sg2, focusing on strategy and innovation to refine and broaden Sg2 solutions and drive customer impact and growth. He had overall P&L responsibility for the business and directly oversaw the Intelligence, Consulting, and Product Strategy and Management teams. Prior to Sg2, he was the senior vice president of clinical strategy, population health and performance management at VHA. Dr. Miff was a member of the senior management team and the executive oversight committee. His role with VHA included strategy, development, and delivery and P&L responsibility across 7 national business units with a total of over $25 million in revenue. Dr. Miff launched and grew 3 new enterprise businesses, led the development and rollout of several key strategic partnerships/acquisitions and was a senior member of the integration team for the VHA, UHC and Novation merger. Dr. Miff earned his PhD and MS degrees in biomedical engineering and a BA in economics from Northwestern University. He has been an adjunct professor of biomedical engineering for more than 5 years and has authored more than 100 thought leadership and peer-reviewed publications. He has served on the Senior Board of Examiners for the Baldrige National Quality Program and on the Executive Quest for Quality Prize Board Committee for the American Hospital Association. He participated as a Big Brother and has been the corporate sponsor for Big Brothers Big Sisters.
- Dr. Winfred Parnell is the chair of the Parkland Board of Managers and a board certified physician in obstetrics and gynecology.Dr. Parnell practices obstetrics and gynecology at Carlos and Parnell, MD, PA, a medical practice he co-founded more than 30 years ago. He serves as a regional director for Doctors of America and is a member of the Parkland Foundation Physicians Council. He also serves as a delegate to the Texas Medical Association as well as board of directors of BBVA Compass Bank Dallas. Dr. Parnell previously served as a board member of the Dallas County Medical Society and for more than 15 years served as a board trustee at Medical City Hospital Dallas.Throughout his career, Dr. Parnell has received commendations by numerous businesses, civic and social societies for his community involvement and professional accomplishments. In 2004, he was named one of “The Best Doctors in Dallas” by D Magazine. In 2009, he was selected to represent Texas at the White Coat Ceremony on Health Care Reform at the White House. In February 2013, Dr. Parnell was presented with the Torch Award from the Urban League of Greater Dallas and North Central Texas in recognition of his servant leadership and professional excellence in the Dallas community.A native Floridian, Dr. Parnell earned a bachelor’s degree in pre-medical science at Florida A&M University in 1974 and a medical degree at the University of Florida College of Medicine in 1977. He completed residency training in obstetrics and gynecology at Parkland in 1982.Dr. Parnell and his wife, Debra, are the proud parents of twins, Winfred and Wendy. His daughter, Wendy Parnell, MD, completed residency training at Parkland in 2011 and practices obstetrics and gynecology. His son, Winfred Parnell, MD, is pursuing residency training in family medicine. Dr. Parnell enjoys snow skiing, jogging and travel.
Frederick P. Cerise MD, MPH
Physician & Hospital Administrator
Dallas, TexasDr. Cerise serves as President and Chief Executive Officer of Parkland Health & Hospital System. Dr. Cerise comes to Parkland with years of experience in a variety of roles as a health care administrator, medical school faculty member, and practicing physician.Most recently, he served as Associate Dean for Clinical Affairs at the Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans School of Medicine. From 2007 to 2012, Dr. Cerise was Vice President for Health Affairs and Medical Education of the Louisiana State University System. Prior to that, he was Secretary of the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals from 2004 to 2007.Dr. Cerise began his career at the Earl K. Long Medical Center, Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Between 1991 and 2004, he advanced from the role of Assistant Program Director and Clinical Faculty member to Medical Director and ultimately served as Chief Executive Officer.Dr. Cerise holds a Bachelor of Science degree from University of Notre Dame and earned his Medical Degree at Louisiana State University, New Orleans. He completed a residency in Internal Medicine at the University of Alabama, Birmingham. In 2011, he earned a Master of Public Health Degree from Harvard University School of Public Health, Boston, MA. He is a member of the Kaiser Commission on Medicaid and the Uninsured and has served on the Louisiana Federal Health Care Reform Steering Committee and the Louisiana Health Care Quality Forum, among others.
- Mr. Shaw joined the Texas Hospital Association as the organization’s fourth president and chief executive officer in February 2014. Mr. Shaw brings expertise forged from a 40-year career in health care leadership to his role as key strategist and spokesperson on behalf of more than 430 THA member hospitals.Prior to joining THA, Mr. Shaw served as interim executive vice president and chief financial officer for Parkland Health and Hospital System in Dallas, where he led the development of the Medicaid Transformation Waiver in North Texas and the construction of an 864-bed replacement hospital. From 2004-2011, he was a partner with the Dallas-based Financial Resource Group LLC, a health care consulting firm where he specialized in operational turnarounds for facilities across the U.S. Prior to joining FRG, Shaw was president of the health care consulting firm W.T. Shaw Company from 1998-2003.His legacy for leading impressive turnarounds includes assignments at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami, the third largest public health system in the U.S.; East Jefferson General Hospital in Metairie, La., both before and after Hurricane Katrina; Fletcher Allen Health Care in Vermont; and Maricopa Integrated Healthcare System in Phoenix. In addition, he has a strong background in health care technology and insurance, having served as chief operating officer of Health2Health.com, an Internet-based HIPAA solutions company; and with Dallas-based Care Systems Corporation, a workers’ compensation technology support firm.He began his career with Ernst & Young in San Antonio, Cleveland and Dallas, achieving the role of partner with responsibility for the Southwest Region Healthcare Practice from 1973-1992. Mr. Shaw holds a bachelor’s degree in business administration in accounting from The University of Texas at Austin, and is a certified public accountant and a Fellow in the Healthcare Financial Management Association.
- Mr. Smith is a healthcare executive with a varied background in complex teaching, urban and rural healthcare settings.Before joining Parkland, Mr. Smith served as senior vice president of the Central region of Tenet Healthcare from 2003 to 2011, where he was responsible for 21 acute care facilities across five states. Prior to his tenure at Tenet Healthcare, he managed multistate regions for Universal Health Services in 2002. In 2000, he served as CEO and director of Clarent Hospital Corporation in Houston to complete a complex restructuring of the corporation and its hospitals. Mr. Smith also served as vice president of division operations for CHRISTUS Health in Dallas from June 1995 to March 2000. He held a variety of leadership positions at National Medical Enterprises from 1984 to 1995 and at Methodist Hospitals of Dallas from 1979 to 1981.Mr. Smith holds a Master of Health Administration degree from Washington University School of Medicine and a Bachelor of Science degree in psychology from the University of Missouri, both in St. Louis. In addition, he completed an administrative residency at Iowa Methodist Medical Center in Des Moines, Iowa. He was the 2011 recipient of the Texas Hospital Association’s Earl M. Collier Award for Distinguished Health Care Administration – the highest award bestowed by the organization.
PCCI’s Executive Advisors
President & CEO of Rutledge Health Care Consulting
Greenville, South CarolinaValinda Rutledge worked as a Senior Advisor and Group Director for the Patient Care Models Group within the Centers of Medicare and Medicaid Innovation (CMMI) where she led the development and roll out of the Bundled Payment for Care Improvement Initiative, Strong Start perinatal care and other National programs. She also served on the Governance Committee that selected the grants for the $1 billion Health Care Innovation Challenge Grants, which focused on funding new programs of innovation and transformation in the health care industry at large.Before joining the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, Rutledge served as the Chief Executive Officer of CaroMont Health in Gastonia, North Carolina where she led the development of the 210-day bundled knee payment arrangement between CaroMont Health and North Carolina’s largest health insurer, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina. This initiative was designed to provide value-based care leading to enhanced care coordination.Prior to CaroMont Health, Rutledge was Chief Executive Officer of Bon Secours Saint Francis Health System in Greenville, South Carolina. She was also Senior Vice President of the Bon Secours Health System with responsibility for system-wide physician alignment strategies, as well as market leader for both Kentucky and South Carolina. While at Bon Secours, she led the development of a groundbreaking partnership between Michelin of North America and Bon Secours, delivering chronic disease management with the pilot focusing on employees and their families with diabetes.She recently received the 2013 Becker’s Healthcare Leadership Award, which is given to the top 30 individuals in the nation who demonstrates leadership and impact to the industry on a national level. In 2010, 2011, and 2012 of Becker’s Hospital Review, Business & Legal Issues for Health System Leadership, Rutledge was listed as one of 50 top Women Hospital & Healthcare Leaders.Ms. Rutledge has served on Premier’s Quality Improvement Committee, the ACO Collaborative Oversight Steering Committee, and the North Carolina Institute of Medicine’s New Models of Care Steering Committee; additionally she has served on AHA’s Governing Council for Metropolitan Hospitals and RPB’s for both Regions 4 and 7. Currently she serves on the following National Scientific Advisory Boards: NaviHealth, VHA, and Doctor’s Evidence.Ms. Rutledge holds two advanced degrees: a master of business administration degree from Butler University in Indianapolis and a Master of Science degree in nursing from Wayne State University in Detroit. She is currently the President/CEO of Rutledge Health Care Consulting; a firm that focuses on assisting health systems and start-up companies transform their business models. She is frequently sought as a national speaker and consultant in the area of payment/clinical innovation.
- Rusty has extensive healthcare technology, analytics, and business experience serving as an EVP and CTO of McKesson Corporation, President of the Technology & Automation of AmerisourceBergen, CIO & CTO of VHA, and Group Vice President of Data, Analytics, and Product Delivery for Vizient Inc.Rusty has authored and edited HIMSS books on the impact of technology on health care and he holds over 15 US and International patents. In addition, Rusty has served in leadership positions in several successful VC-backed healthcare software companies.